How to update Windows Phone 8.1 to Windows Mobile 10
Windows Phone 8.1 store was closed on December 16 2019 which means that you no longer can download apps for this operating system or update it to Windows Mobile 10 using the upgrade advisor app.
The upgrade advisor app was the official way install Windows Mobile 10 in supported phones but when you try to connect to the store using a Windows Phone device to download it, you will see the following message:
There has been a problem completing your request. Try again later. This error code may be helpful: 805a0190
This was a common error on Windows Phone devices and there are a lot of tutorials in the internet explaining how to fix it however none of them will work since the operating system was discontinued.
How to install Windows Mobile 10
Once you download the over-the-cable tool do the following:
- Before starting this process make sure your phone has more than 40% of battery
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable
- On your Desktop create a folder with the name Win10Update
- Execute the OtcUpdaterZip.exe
- Accept the terms by clicking Yes
- Extract the files to the folder you have created in your desktop as shown in the following image
- Open the Win10Update folder on your desktop
- Open the otcupdater.exe
- The tool will detect the phone and will extract the update. This process may take several minutes, wait until you get the message to disconnect your phone
- To monitor the installation of the Windows Mobile 10 go to Settings
and then Phone Update
- The phone will restart and will do the installation, this process will take a few minutes do not turn off your phone
- The phone will restart one more time and will proceed with the installation and migrate your data
Even though this mobile operating system is deprecated most of the available devices are still good feature phones and most of them can still be used with Continium (if manually installed) that provides a desktop experience from your mobile.
The entire update process takes about 30 minutes and will leave your phone on the latest version of the iconic Windows Mobile.